Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Pain is Beauty

You know the saying "Pain is Beauty"? Well I do, and I don't like it! Why does it have to be painful to be beautiful?

I'm heading off to Mexico so of course there are a number of NECESSARY appointments that need to take place first... let's take a look at this list and see how far I make it.

1. Wax everything
       a) legs
           i. lower legs
          ii. upper legs
          iii. Full legs
       b) under arms
       c) Brazilian
       d) brows
       e) chin/lip/sides
       f) bikini
       g) back

This list is literally from my waxer - Elaine's Home of Waxing (she's amazing) now back to that list, I'd like to think I don't NEED half of those parts of my body waxed... let's be clear, I don't need my back, chin, sides done! okay that's like 3... the rest is a must!

So I've heard through many estheticians that waxing the face (brows/upper lip - anything on your face) is a no go! Wax is very harsh on the face, you should only sugar or THREAD! Are you familiar with this new (new to North America anyways) procedure?


Threading is an ancient method of hair removal. It is popular in many Arabic countries[1], as well as Indian and Persian culture where it is called Bande Abru ("Abru" means eyebrow, and "Band" is the thread). Threading the entire face is widely spread amongst Iranians, but it was originally practiced when a woman was getting married or during special occasions. In ancient Persia, threading was a sign that a girl had reached adulthood and become a woman. It has also gained popularity in Western countries.
Practitioners use a pure, thin, twisted cotton thread which is rolled over untidy hairlines, moustaches and so on, plucking the hair at the follicle level. Unlike tweezing where a single hair is pulled out each time, threading can remove an entire row of hair, resulting in a straighter line. However, due to a larger area of hair being removed at once, it can be quite painful for some.

Okay now that I gave you the low down on threading... that's exactly what I had done yesterday. It's definitely painful... probably more painful then wax or sugaring but I like to think it's the best for your face because it's not pulling on your skin.  The threads just pull the hair out directly from your face. I had to hold my forehead and eye just like that picture - which is harder then it looks. Tears streaming down my face also made it that much more slippery for me to hold on to my face!

But i have to say it's the best my eyebrows have ever looked! It's a MUST! Rhika at Salon 306 in Regina is AMAZING!

Today I have the dreaded pleasure of going for my Brazilian and underarms... I wish I had been able to get my leg hair long enough but that is one hard thing to grow out without being completely embarrassed for an entire month! Wish me luck!!

At least I will be hairless for MEXICO!

1 comment:

  1. Hahah I like this. I especially like the picture of that creature at the end. A cat?!
    Threading sounds like the way to go aside from the pain factor. I might be too big of a baby to try that. Good luck today ;) hahah

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts